Wednesday, April 15, 2009

OK, Here's the deal; If you are going to comment on my page make sure you have a spine thick enough to use your name. Otherwise I'll delete it. Be as derogatory as you want. However, the comment I'm referring to was not derogatory at all. It just made me do my homework. I like to be challenged. It's fun for me. So make sure I know who you are. Thanks.

English is not the official language of the United States of America. There have been a couple of bills, but none have passed. However, on April 26 2007 the state of Nevada passed legislation that English is indeed the official language. Basically the bill says to foster a stronger community you must have a common language. Second languages are good and encouraged, but here in Nevada we speak English. So how come when my husband goes to school for the union he has to push 1 for English and 2 for Spanish to get his paycheck from the state?

I believe that languages foster a spirit of community. My great Grandparents who came from Germany had to learn English to become citizens. I think to be an official citizen you still do. Weren't those people in NY taking a practice language test before the maniac came in and shot like 13 of them. It doesn't bother me that it's Spanish, or Korean, or Taglog, or Italian. I think it's important to make sure we can communicate with eachother effectively. I feel we need an official language. Obviously I'd prefer English because that's what I speak, and that's what most Americans speak. But if the official language were French I would be upset about having to push 1 for French and 2 for German.

No comments: